View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 08:34 AM

Salamander (Jeff) is on a distinguished road
Default Is a Icecap 430 enuf for my tank?

I have a 60 gallon tank and didn't plan on an Icecap. John at J&L gave me such a good deal on a defective one that was factory reconditioned, I couldn't refuse. ( Less than half price with the wiring harness) The tank size is 48'' Long by 18'' High by 15'' wide I was thinking of setting it up with 3- 110 Watt 10,000 k Bulbs White 48'' long, then a separate florescent shop light with 2- 40 Watt actinic bulbs 48'' long that would come on 1 hour before the Icecap and then stay on until 1 hour after, for a Photo period of 12 hours. This would be a total of 410 Watts and 6.83 Watts per Gallon.

This tank has been up and running for 14 months it has 2 inches live sand 50 lbs live rock 33 gallon sump with live sand also. livestock includes 1 Pigmy angel 1 Yellow tang 2 Clowns 1 Dotty back 6 Blue leg Crabs 10 Astrea snails and 10-20 baby snails (Corals) 3 Mushroom anemones, Mushroom polyps, 1 Bubble tip anemone, 1 Candy cane, 1 Pulsing Xenia. Every thing is healthy and growing like crazy. Up till now I have been running 2 shop lights with 2-40 Watt daylight bulbs & 2-40 Watt actinic 12 hrs a day. what hard corals can I expect to grow with the Icecap 430??

Sorry for being looooong winded its the first time on a board. Jeff.S