View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM

smoke20ster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
I would not use the fluidized bed and if you use the fluval keep it free of media and use it just for flow. A sump/fuge would be a better solution for both of these. As well make sure you have a good skimmer, a sump gives you the option of buying an in sump version and more choices.

For lighting I would go with T5's and not VHO. VHO is being phased out and will no longer be available in the near future. T5's are cheaper, more common and provide a better light output at less power (hence the reason they are going to be no longer produced).

As for your fish list your tank is no where near big enough to support any member of the tang family. The other fish on your list sound like a good choice for a 45.

An octopus tank sounds neat but do lots of reading before you jump into that world, their tank requirements and care is much different then regular stuff.

Good luck on your setup and feel free to ask lots of questions.
Ive seen the Refugium's...but I dont see what they actually do. As for a simple sump, Ive got a small bit of room under the tank(in the stand) but wouldnt a wet/dry be around the same lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
Watts per gallon is no longer used in marine aquariums. More important is the spectrum of the lights and the PAR of the light. Normal output fluorescents, VHO and Power compacts are all old technology and I would not wast money on buying any fixtures for those. On a tank your size a T5HO fixture would work great or a MH if you really want, or if you have money a LED system.

Here is an example of the Sunlight Supply wave T5HO fixture (a cheaper fixture) and here is an example of a more expensive Tek fixture just to give you some ideas.
Yeah Ive even looked at those Tek light fixtures, and I was very impressed. Even seen a MH with 2 ho bulbs in a 370watt hood, was a generic china made fixture and wasnt ul listed, so I wasnt a big fan there...hate to see the house burn down :P

Last edited by smoke20ster; 12-13-2007 at 03:03 PM.