View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Well they say the good lord hates a coward so I might as well wade into this debate.
I do work for an oil company - not Encana - but out of BC. I do remember the NEP and the absolute devistation that brought about so that yet another government could buy eastern votes.
I think that the question every Albertan should be asking is why the heck would we want to give this government yet more $$$. Let's face it, there is more $$$$ going into the government coffers than any Oil Companies. I think who really has to be questioned is the Alberta government. They have seriously mismanaged the $$$ that are going in right now and now they want more! (and one of the above poster said that big corporations are heartless). Maybe if there was more revenue going to the province they could give everyone $500 checks next year. Talk about a stupid way to spend over a billion dollars. Alberta should be ashamed of itself for the condition they have let their roads and infastructure get into. I am old enough to remember the day when driving across the border from BC to Alberta was a startling reminder of how inept the BC government was about maintaining infastructure - it is now the opposite.
People like to talk about big corporations making $ - hello - that is what being in business is all about. It is easy to sit back and be envious of someone or thing that has more than you and point fingers and say it isn't right - that is human nature. But really think about the money that does get put back in to the communities in the way of jobs, income that supports just about every other business in a lot of communities, large corporate donations that help in a big way hospitals, community organizations and charities of all kinds. I work in the community relations part of the industry and can tell you it is not small $$$ we are talking about.
Whew! rant over for now but I could go on.