View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 01:29 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Kadaytar,

None of my rock is from any LFS, I never said that...

There only used to be 3 fish in the system up until about 2 weeks ago when my 90g crashed, there are an excess of fish in the system now because I am waiting for a home for them. The algae problem was around long before the extra fish.

The three original fish, orange shoulder, kole, and sixline, were added to the tank to prepare them for my upgrade. The orange shoulder at the time was less then 0.5", same as the kole. They aren't being housed long term in the nano, it was only to get them used to the flow.

The coralife skimmer came with the system, its doing well for me now. I have been looking for an alternatie, but space is at a premium at the moment. I run filtersocks, and do 2 water changes of 5g per week.

My sand is black tidal sand by Seachem. I found research that contradicted what others have posted. I also keep my sand well turned over, I have a lipstick conch, bumblebee snails, and a few other miscelanious snails which keep the sand bed clean and turned over regularly.

My rocks are actually piled up in a maze of caves with loc-line running within the caves between for flow. There is about a 2" gap between the back wall and the rock to allow for better water movement.

I doubt the algae problem comes from the fish, while they may now contribute to it, they weren't there when it started. The rocks and all the items in the tank are fully cured. Remember everything came from my 230g or previous tanks, corals and clams included. Why would I want flow to push detritus under the rockwork? I don't want it to be built up to cause problems.