Thread: Baffles
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 04:07 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road
Default sump

We made one last weekend from a 33 gallon tank. The dimensions of ours is
36x18x12. a stock off the shelf 33 gallon tank. Using my volume calculator your tank with the dimensions you stated is only 16 gallons. Using the plans off of melv's we split it roughly into 3rds. I dont remember exactly but the widths of the 3 chambers are apx., intake 10", the return 12" and the refugium is 14". The highest baffle is the refugium and we made that 15" including the "teeth". We made 3 baffles for the intake to dissapate bubbles. 1st is 13" high and goes to the bottom. The next is raised an inch or so up off the bottom and is 14"high, then the next is the same as the first. It seems to work very well. We run the return area ( one with the return pump) about 8"
deep. You want to leave enough space that in the event of a pump or power failure the water from you display has a place to go ( instead of the floor) until the syphen breaks. We used Mastercraft window and door silicone from Crappy Tire.. (it says right on it aquirum safe) on the baffles. It worked just fine...I took pic's but I havent downloaded them yet.