View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 10:58 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default Light Lifter and Frame

Man, I would love it if someone could provide me with a simpler design to do this... If you think you have it, please keep the following in mind:

1) Move the lower frame straight up the upper frame. Lift must be balanced.
2) There's no available room ABOVE the upper frame. Nothing can pass through the lower frame during the lift.

Here is the draft of what I'm thinking of building to hold the lights. What you don't see in this picture is the linear actuator that pulls on the cables. It will sit horizontally in top/middle of the upper frame.

Lights will be mounted under the lower frame.

The whole idea is to lift the lower frame straight up as much as possible..hopefully right up against the upper frame. (about 30")

It's impossible to follow the individual cables in too much detail on this crudely drawn diagram..suffice to say that as the actuator pulls horizontally, the pulleys translate that into vertical pull on all four sides for a straight lift. I think it will work, but....is it ever complicated!

Anyone know a good supplier of pulleys? How about a favourite aluminum fabricator?
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436