View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think you can have a nice setup that is simple. Or for that matter, you can have a complex setup that's having trouble.

Having said that though, you mentioned sumps, and I think this is a good example for getting into the "why's". To me having a sump makes things SIMPLER not more complex. Yes there is some plumbing involved but it's a one time setup. After that, you have a place to hide your heater, skimmer, etc. and you increase your water volume. It only helps, and it helps to make your maintenance a simpler task. And therein lies the crux: the extra infrastructure support making the mundane tasks simpler.

And thus you get into the really crazy things. It seems like a lot of equipment but each thing is intended to make some ongoing facet, something simpler.

Ultimately it's up the reefkeeper to understand the processes involved. Having a piece of equipment that one doesn't fully understand, is missing the boat, in my opinion. One have to understand why (and how) they're doing something, otherwise they'd probably risk doing it wrong.