View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM

JSTR is on a distinguished road

Well to start off, nano's are not always the best first tank.
But aside from that, here is my opinion on your questions.

The stock lighting in the biocube nanos are good enough for the mushroom and star polyps. The anemone is not a good candidate for nanos, lighting isn't strong enough and there isn't reaqlly enough water volume to keep one happy. No comment on sun corals - never kept them.

Horseshoe crabs are best left in the ocean, they get quite big and are difficult to keep (so I hear). A pair of clownfish is fine, couple of shrimp are ok, either cleaners or fire shrimp. Careful mixing types of shrimp as they don't always get along in those smaller tanks (territory issues).

Flow is entirely up to you discression. Can't remember of hand the stock flow, but for a small mixed reef, one would recommend 20 - 30 times water volume. Something like the Tunze nano stream or SEIO 620-820 would be plenty.

Watch your evaporation as it can ruin your salinity very quickly in a small tank, aswell as all your parameters can fluctuate rapidly in small water volumes. Be prepared to do minimum bi-weekly water changes depending on the bioload and water conditions.

Most important of all, place the tank in a place were you will be constantly watching it. First for the sheer enjoyment of it and second it helps keep you aware of any changes in the tank. A small dead fish can quickly turn the tank toxic to all remaining life.

HTH