View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
A couple more questions.. what's your floor, is it concrete? If so how is the stand attached to the floor at the bottom?

To make the stand open at the back (where the sump is sitting) without a bottom cross bar member (or whatever it's called) did you have to put any diagonal bracing, or additional posts under the middle of the tank or anything like that?

Thanks once again for the info. Very helpful!!
The tank is in my basement, directly on top of the concrete foundation. I don't know how thick the concrete is...but I'm sure it is enough. I glued lino directly to the concrete, then glued the stand and walls to the floor using construction adhesive.

The stand has 2x6's joists spanning the 4 foot width. These joists run every foot. The vertical supports are only 2x4's. Where I was not able to have a vertical support every foot (like where it spans the sumps), I doubled the 2x4 on either side. There are no centre posts, or diagonal braces...the stand is completely open underneath.

It's basically the same way that you would build a small house. You build 2x4 wall sections...then you build a floor out of 2x6's on edge and screw it onto the wall sections.

That construction is not stable until you screw plywood to the faces. Once the 3/4" plywood was screwed to the front, left, right and top sides it is rock solid. It would be MUCH less stable if I had wanted doors on the front and side.

Maybe I'll post some detail shots of the stand for you.