View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM

pandafishowner is on a distinguished road
Default 2x4 and plywood tank stand?

ok, i changed my mind about a new tank stand again. i need something stable and closed in so my kids and cats can't get to anything. i drew out a really cheap plan of what i'm thinking. if anyone thinks it'll will or won't work, let me know and why. i'm hoping to get the supplies closer to my moving date of Dec 1st. i want the stand ready for when we move our tanks though.

anyway this is what i'm thinking of.

im hoping to make the stand 30 inches high. it'll have to be 30 inches wide by 12 inches because of my tank dimensions. i plan to have about a 2 inch space where i'll place plywood, and then some soft styrafoam for the tank to sit on. this way the bottom of the tank sits "inside" the extra space. i'll also add two 2x4 pieces around the 10inch marks along the length of the tank to add support where the plywood will sit on. in the middle of the stand, i'm going to put a plywood shelf held onto the 2x4s with braces. the sides and back of the stand will be covered with plywood. the front will have 2 pieces of plywood with door handles, hinged on the outer 2x4s that will close over the middle 2x4. i'm guessing i'll need about 30 feet of 2x4s (will probably buy more than that though).

anyway, the picture isn't the greatest but it gives you the general idea. let me know if it'll work. if something should be changed, etc. i just really am not going to go and spend money on another cheap wal-mart one.

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Current occupants are cardinal tetras and ameca splendons