View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 03:23 AM

Fish is on a distinguished road

I've just been doing some number crunching and figure that if I use one external pump on the sump return and one on a closed loop, I would have about 35x turnover in the main tank (which is about right) but the water would be going pretty fast (600gph) through my sump - maybe to the point where it sweeps microbubbles into the display.

If however, I used a mag5 as a sump return, I would have a nice and manageable 280gph through the sump. But that would mean closer to 50x turnover in the main tank (because of the mags extra output and because the Iwaki would then be bolted to the underside of the tank and wouldn't have the same losses it would have as a sump return). I usually shoot for about 30-40x turnover but 50x is a little excessive on a zoo/riccordia tank. So, there's the dilemma.

I don't really want the added expense of buying and running another pump - especially when I've already fgot pretty good flow. I might just move the baffles further apart and raise them up and just go with the 600gph through the sump...

What are people's thoughts on this?

- Chad