View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 12:53 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofcrabs
Can too much light hurt a coral (aside from bleaching). I have a bubble coral that wasn't doing well at all under a 175 MH, under 400 watts of PC lighting it is doing much better. Has anyone heard of too much light bothering corals (not bleaching)? As well, aren't you limiting yourself by getting 250 SE bulbs a bit? I mean, when you read about many SPS corals they say a min of 250, recommened 400. That said some SPS junkies (Harvey) keeps them under 250's.
Ok two things, running a 250 watt SE on a HQI ballast is not limiting your self, I have tested 3 or 4, 400 watt lighting set ups on the island and a couple on the main land with a PAR meter and all except 1 was less than three 250 watt SE on HQI ballasts set ups, this is why the 250watt HQI is grouped with the 400 watt for depth of tank so by going with either the 250 HQI or the 400 you are good for any upgrades down the road.

as for two much light.. hmm see I have had the opposite happen, when I upgraded from the 175 to the 250HQI My mushroom and polyp growth exploded, as well so did my Brain, Anemone, Torch, bubble and fox. I think people forget that you do find these corals living among SPS in some areas and the limiting factor is how well you acclimate them to the new light.

as for why use the depth, personally I think there is nothing more weird looking then having corals all in the top 1/3 of your tank, then nothing in the middle and a bunch of softies on the bottom, I want the ability to keep the top 1/3 of my tank free for just water and fish so all my corals will be in the bottom 2/3rds of the tank and I will have SPS on the bottom as well as the top of the rocks and in the middle so you need to have a good lighting base at the bottom also. I think this gives a more natural reef look as your schooling fish can actually swim above the reed (like you see in the shows on reefs) instead of around it because there is no room above.

but that is just my opinion and rational.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.