View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I have all of the above! A 230g with a DSB (about 4-5"), a 190g and 24g BB and a 44g and 12g with a SSB. Which do I like better? Hard to say - they all have their pluses and negatives. With the DSB I find that it tends to facilitate the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate a little better or faster than the BB. I love the fact that I can siphon all the crud out of my BB and it is easy to see. I like the look of the SSB but find that I have to replace the sandbed as it starts looking yucky and then nitrates start to build. I also have to watch for nitrates in the BB tanks. It is still a hard comparison because all the tanks are different with different inhabitants. My large BB is very high flow and I skim the heck out of this tank. My small BB is low flow and no skimmer (just lots of water changes). There was a couple of huge threads on Reef Central that got totally out of control and actually ended up with some of their "experts" leaving RC and going and starting or participating in other boards so it is a highly debated subject. I think you have to decide for yourself what you want to keep in your tank, how much flow you will need, and which method is going to better suit your needs. I am sure others will chime in as there are many many opinions out there.