View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 AM

Bravoman is on a distinguished road
Default Your opinions regarding bare bottom vs shallow sand bed vs deep sand bed

Hi Everyone,

I would like to start some discussion regarding the advantages and disadvantages of bare bottom, shallow sand, and deep sand beds in reef aquariums.

I don't want to get into which is "BETTER", but rather what each has to offer and the possabilities unique to each type of set up.

I'm in the planning stages of my first reef aquarium. I've read and studied books, and websites and talked with friends who have tanks for the past 3 or 4 years and now I'm finally ready to take the leap. So..... basically I'd say I'm fairly educated with respect to theoretical knowledge, but don't have any real world knowledge of the subject myself. And I'd like to have some good reasons to go one way or the other.

Right now, as I see it I think I'd like either a shallow or deep sand bed because I like the asthetics and I'd like to have creatures in my tank who live and "work" in the sand.

Please add your thoughts on the subject with reasons you like one system over the other as well as limitations one might have over another. (i.e. Fine sand blowing onto coral, nutrient sinks, creature limitations, waste removal, cyanobacteria, etc, etc)

I'll leave it with you all for now.

Thanks everyone. I hope this stirs up some good conversation and debate.

Bravo