View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 04:37 AM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd
Question Lighting - Is this a good idea?

I am currently tankless (well except for a 33g cichlid tank a 10g guppy tank and a fry tank – but I have never done salt). I am slowly collecting some equipment so that I can start a reef tank when I move out to Victoria in May. I was thinking of doing a 33 gallon bow front (if I can find a used/cheap one) with a HOB protein skimmer. I am not really sure what I want as far as livestock – likely some clowns as they are hardy and relitively inexpensive, but don’t know what I would like to do as far as corals. I don’t want to have to upgrade equipment in the future (besides a bigger tank when I can afford to stock it!) and reading Cams post – ‘Are MH the way to go?’ and Ruth’s ‘I wish I had listened’ has got me really thinking.

I was originally thinking of doing a 4 x 96 watt PC light, but then came across an opportunity for a 36” Hamilton 1 x 250W MH (10000K) with 2 x 96W PC Actinics with 2 fans - canopy style, it sits right on the tank. I don’t want my equipment to dictate what livestock I can have (ie not bright enough / too bright) – would this allow me flexibility in livestock – would this light be too bright or not bright enough for anything? Should I go this way – or stick to my original thoughts of a 4 x 96 watt PC, or am I missing something completely?

The MH 250W ballast is not working either – is this difficult to replace?

Also am I just being eager, and should wait until I find a tank before I get a light. Although it looks like a great deal!

Thanks for your help!