Thread: Cyano Chaos...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:20 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road
Talking

This is something we all fight at one time or another, repeatedly in most cases.

Start with nutrients, though I would think you refuge would be consuming most phosphates & nitrates. I would ditch the fluval completely, save it for running carbon if you want/need to... and get some more live rock. 1 - 1 1/2 lbs per gallon would put you in the 50 - 75 lb range. If you run out of room in the main tank, you can always put some in the refuge or sump. Flow may be an issue as cyano doesn't grow where you have lots of flow, and then yes... start changing your bulbs if they are that old... change them one at a time over the next couple weeks/month or so, and you can eliminate that possibility AND do something that needs to be done anyways. Personally I hate chemi-clean as I had a crash after using it, but I have also heard people having success as well... just remember that if you use chemi-clean and don't identify the source of the problem, it will be back in short order with a vengeance...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!