View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 01:15 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefburnaby
Hi,

IMHO, your ballast mislabeled. Actually it should say F96T12HO where HO is for high output (or double normal output). NOs usually have a lamp current of 430mA (for T12) and HOs have double that. VHOs have double that of HOs. Its commonly used in store signs.

Phillips ballats are made by Advanced Transformers (which is why they look so similar).

To answer....
1. No. A single 8 foot lamp would take 110W. If you shorten it to 4 foot, it will reduce or increase the power delivered to the lamp. Its uncertain since it depends on how the ballast is constructed. One thing to note is that using this ballast on shorter lamps does reduce the life of the bulb. However, this is not usually a problem in our tanks since we replace the bulb before the bulb completely burns out.

- Victor.
Victor, a ballast is a constant current source it will not vary the power to the bulb but maintain a constant amperage, the resistance caused by the bulb is what determines the power difference, and no using a shorter tube will not burn it out faster.

also the ballast wiring diagram clearly shows a parallel set up so using two wires per bulb should be fine.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.