View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

You could run your cannister for extra biolgical filtration.... if you do, use aragonite gravel or something to give you maximum surface area, put your rock in the tank or sump.

I would strongly recommend running a skimmer to begin with. Skimmerless systems usually have some other form of filtration, ie planted refugia with Miracle Mud, or a Zeolite filter, but skimming is by far the easiest way to start amd get decent water quality. Skimming also offers the benefit of supercharged gas exchange which will make sure you will never have issues with oxygen and C02 levels... again though, there is no "right" way, just what works well for each individual setup.

I've never had a Remora but have read good things, I've had a Prizm, and for your size system should work allright, but you'll have to check it regularly and maintain your water level to get consistent skimming. Do keep in mind that when it comes to skimming, you get what you pay for...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!