View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 07:24 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao
B3C4U53 1T R0X0RZ MY B0X0RZ!
Man... gimme two of whatever he's on!

DSB's provide a terrific surface area for nitrifying bacteria to live on effectively adding to the biological filtration capacity of the system as well as providing substrate for sand dwelling organisms to live in. Lots of people doing SPS are going bare bottom to avoid sand storms due to the high flow of their systems. Sandbeds also tend to be an area where algae grows easily especially if there is low flow.

Personally, I like sand beds for the natural look along with the added biodiversity... and I have 7000 gph running through my 135 with no storms... I find I have to siphon every week or two to keep algae in check... at this point it seems to be up to the individual... lots of people going BB are running DSB in their sump or refugiums, which I also do...

As far as light goes... I don't think 250W will overpower anything except deepwater species... it's pretty hard to duplicate natural sunlight at the equator, unless you wanna try 1000W on a 5g nano...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!