Thread: noobie question
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

How much current totally depends on what you plan to keep... so start there. In nature the water moves in tidal cycles, wind currents, and thermal currents creating an endless amount of strength and variety of directions of flow. Corals and fish alike need these be replicated as much as possible in the home systems... first three important things to keeping a reef... LIGHT, FILTRATION, and WATER MOVEMENT. Read up on some of the species you want to keep and determine how much flow you'll need. IMO 2 Maxijet 900's on a wavemaker and the skimmer should give you decent flow in that size of a tank. Marine fish in particular are used to fighting currents constantly in search of food, just make sure you have some rock they can swin through and under so they can escape the currents when they want to.

I thought I'd give my 2 bits but now with inflation it's 4...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!