View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 04:01 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road
Default Coldwater marine systems

Anyone here have any experience with local marine life? Within the next few weeks i will be setting up a 30 gallon coldwater marine tank. At first i dont plan on using a chiller (the tank will be at room temp).... i will be collecting tidepool organisms. But maybe near the end of summer I will add a chiller in order to keep deeper-ocean dwelling life, granted my "tidepool" tank goes well.

Does anyone have any experience or pointers they could give me? There is tragically little information on the net about setting up such systems.

For lighting I plan on about 40 watts, just regular Hagen florescent bulbs, 1 marine-glo with actinics and 1 power-glo for a fuller spectrum. Ive heard local life doesnt need much light. Filtration will be 1 aqua-clear 200 HOB filter with sponge and carbon, and 1 powerhead 150 (i think its a 150, too lazy to check right now ). Heating is just room temp, so about 71F, and maybe a chiller down the road if nessecary. I plan on getting sand from the beach and setting up some sort rockwork from beach rocks.

I live in north vancouver about 5 minutes from the beach, so i will be collecting locally and also over on Bowen Island where my boyfriend lives.

Thanks for any input!

-Diana