View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 01:05 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefer View Post
I am also looking to get back into the hobby again and sick of glass tanks and wondering on the prices in Canada on acrylic to DIY a tank or costs of building a large one in the 200-350 gallon range.
I'm not sure on exact sheet price since there is no way I am going to DIY a tank this large but I think it's roughly $400-500 a sheet for 3/4" at retail price. For smaller pieces that I priced out, plasticworks was the best price. Depends on dimensions but for a 200 my guess is 2 sheets, 3 sheets for 350. That 350 might need 1" acrylic depending on height.

I would build a few small tanks before DIYing a 350G

Out of curiosity, what makes you sick of glass tanks?

If I had the choice (ground floor spot for my tank) I would not go acrylic. I am just willing to accept the scratches so I can go a little larger in my current place.

Edit: I did a bunch of research on DIY acrylic tanks. I would read the threads on other forums. A lot of good advice on what type of acrylic to use as well as solvents. There were even some tank builders who used certain solvents that were not good for larger tanks. The prediction was that the tank could give after a few years Then there is the issue of hazing...It's all a very specific skill. I have built a few glass tanks but that is really easy in comparison.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 02-03-2021 at 01:10 AM.