View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM

Belgian Anthias is on a distinguished road
Default Assimilating and removing nitrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Some might wonder why increase the size of skimmer and add a Marinepure block if I'm struggling to get nitrates up. My intention is to aggressively add nutrients and aggressively remove them. I'll be switching to aqua forest soon so [B
I'll be able to control the rate of nitrate removal by adjusting how much I dose of the bacteria and the carbon[/b]
How one will be able to control the rate of nitrate removal by adding carbohydrates ? Dosing carbon does not remove nitrate from the system, It activates assimilation of nitrogen into growing biomass producing protein. No need for adding bacteria there are enough bacteria available in any aquarium. One can estimate the amount of protein produced by the amount of carbohydrate added but not the removal rate. The removal is done by a third party, a skimmer. It is known that a skimmer only removes +- max 35% of TOC out of the water column and is very selective in removing live bacteria. http://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku...iwitafschuimer A lot of the produced proteine is attached, may be part of a growing biofilm. What is not skimmed must be consumed and becomes part of the bio-load and of the normal food cycle. My opinion it is not possible to control the nitrate removal by any method of carbon dosing with the objective of nitrogen assimilation.