View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 AM

calo247 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
So am I. The dimmer/timer will limit the output current to the LEDs regardless if the input voltage is 12 or 24 volts. But you don't have to trust me, get a 12 volt supply & be happy. Wonder how your LED bar hasn't fried with the 13.5 volt supply. If you have a notebook computer it most likely has a 24 volt supply with sufficient power, give that try.
there is multiple problems with this statement, first the timer doesn't really "limit" output current (as its a PWM based dimmer), the leds just draw what they need (this is why i can plug my phone into the same outlet as a fridge can use lol). and then you talk about voltage, which is completely different than current... it matters what the input voltage is there is no way that dimmer has any voltage regulation in it to reduce it to what the leds require, the only way to do this on a DC circuit is to expel it as heat, you can not use a transformer to do it, and i do not see it being able to do that with out a heatsink of some sort (even if this was the case it would be impossible for the dimmer to just determine what the leds are rated for, there for there would be some sort of way of setting the output voltage).

but what i just said does not even really matter because it says on the product page it is a PWM based dimmer so they do not use voltage reduction to get the dimming effect.

ya the 13.5v supply wont fry the strip, but i am sure a 24v one would, plug anything into double the rated voltage and let me know how that goes.

Last edited by calo247; 07-22-2017 at 09:56 AM.