View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
This is a common issue with heaters and reason why I always recommend that people use two smaller heaters ike you are rather than one larger one. In all honesty, I don't think there are any good heaters anymore, which makes the 2 heater method more important. I have a bunch of really old Jager heaters - they used to be made very well, and now they are not. I've had better luck with Cobalt NeoTherm heaters than Jager but I've also heard of the NeoTherm heaters blowing up (not quite as dramatic as it sounds).
Your absolutely right Mindy! It's all about safe guarding against failure. That's the problem with mass production these days, quality suffers. I heard the same about the cobalt Neo's, although the LFS assured me that Cobalt had corrected this issue. I will take a look and find a suitable replacement. At least I'm diligent in checking the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Titanium with temp control on top of apex control, because my tank is in the garage with no insulation the temp drops pretty low so I use a 300 and 500w titanium the smaller one goes on first then larger if needed. The upside to a cold garage in the winter is a cool garage in the summer.

I see lots of people using the glass ones and while they're not supposed to be submersed, most people do and that is just a disaster waiting to happen, house fire all the way. Never happened to me but when sparks happen underwater it's just a matter of time before the cord catches and then boom. I had a stupid stealth before and the thing did exactly what I described above. The thing with glass is if it does explode I am worried about the glass shards in your sump and possibly getting electrocuted whenyou stick your hand in not knowing.
no need for a chiller for summer . Ya that would not be fun trying to remove glass shards and like you mentioned not realizing and doing a hand dip. Thanks for the information! I will see what I can find for a replacement. As of right now the defective heater is taking a ride in to the trash.