View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitas5 View Post
So wait,
Since when is it important where the salt id from and what batch it is? Shouldn't it be consistent? or very close to it?
I'm also thinking of switching, but feedback is very different. How do you know?
Salt mixes are always made in batches, and if there is a problem, it is usually limited to a batch. I was just pointing out the fact that I'm probably not using the same batch that Pat is.

Some people are having issues with Aquaforest, and from what I've seen these issues all have (at least) one or two things in common: the tanks are not being dosed "big three" regularly, and they are coming off a high alkalinity salt mix. These two commonalities are significant because if someone is using a high alkalinity salt mix, and NOT dosing the tank, they are relying on water changes using the high alkalinity salt mix to maintain alkalinity. If these people switch to a salt mix that has 3-4 dKH lower alkalinity, and they continue to NOT dose their tank, the alkalinity will fall in the tank. Low alkalinity + LPS = bad (in general).

Aquaforest is NOT a good brand of salt mix to use if you are not dosing your tank IMO. AF is not designed to "bump alkalinity up" during water changes. IMO, a person should pick a salt mix that is compatible with the husbandry techniques s/he is employing. I would not use AF salt mixes on a tank that is not getting daily doses of alkalinity (either manually or via doser), UNLESS you add alkalinity to the newly mixed saltwater to increase alkalinity to 10-11 dKH as in mixes like Instant Ocean and H2Ocean. Aquaforest salt mixes are good for people who DO dose their tanks, and want to keep natural seawater parameters.

SPS fanatic.