View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 04:19 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralor View Post
but what I'd like to eliminate is the introduction of the electrical currents inside the DT if possible.
In over 25 years of aquarium keeping I have had this happen exactly once and it was from a frayed wire on a used piece of equipment that I had not checked first. YMMV but this is not a major risk, and using GFCI circuits, drip loops and avoiding the cable monster should be all the electrical risk mitigation you need.

Quote:
My concern is also having enough flow for the SPS as they are the corals I will have the most of. (Currently the same
Suggestions?
Do you ever plan to control your pumps/skimmer/total system? If so, then start with the purchasing that equipment, as trading up with cost from 2 to 3 times in the end. Having said that, I agree that the eheim 1292 is the best base choice. Not the most silent, but reliable and does not have the close tolerances some of the newer, higher performance (more expensive) ones do. Another good choice in the same cost range Sicce Syncra Silent 5, or stepping up to controllable pumps in the same cost range in Canada, a Reef Octopus VarioS-6 or Waveline DC6000

Quote:
I wasn't planning on using an air stone but should I?
A powerhead with a foam intake guard will do a lot better at oxygenation (flow) than any air pump and stone.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.