Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Nano Tank Talk (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Nano Filtration Advice (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99910)

Bryan_k47 08-14-2013 03:54 AM

Nano Filtration Advice

Hi
I have a 5 gallon Chi
Only have one damsel in it
A 6-7 lb piece of live rock covered in Zoa Frags
Half dozen snails and hermits
No sand but I have dead coral spread on the bottom for zoas to grow on to

Was wondering what you Nano/Pico pros would recommend for filtration on the tank
Right now I have a Eheim HOB with a bag of Carbon in it and the Eheim filter that is used for the HOB
Used to running a larger tank with sump, this is all new to me.

Thanks
Bryan

spit.fire 08-14-2013 04:37 AM

Aqua clear with hydroton

Bryan_k47 08-14-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 838340)
Aqua clear with hydroton

Hydroton ?

canadianbudz604 08-14-2013 04:56 AM

Filter

Hydroton is like expanded clay. I used purigen on my 10g and it worked really well. U don't even really need anything though. Hydroton will also work well, heard its really hard to clean though

JmeJReefer 08-14-2013 10:15 AM

A modded aqua clear 50 with a refugium would work well. Once ur system is established, your live rock will be ur bio filtration and the hob filters are just for chemical filtration and floss. Purigen, chemipure elite, clear fx pro work well.

Bryan_k47 08-15-2013 06:03 AM

Why would I need a refugium on a tank like this ?
So a hob is not needed hmmmmm interesting.
Need to do something though. Water isn't exactly clear. I do weekly water changes
Thoughts on prodibio in a nano ?

Dearth 08-15-2013 09:01 AM

A refuge in a modified aquaclear will do the same thing as a skimmer on a system that small

If your water isn't clear how much are you feeding your damsel, is the tank experiencing temp swings, how big are your water changes, what kind of water are you using(ie. tap water, filtered water from store, RO/RODI and so on)

Madreefer 08-15-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 838551)
A refuge in a modified aquaclear will do the same thing as a skimmer on a system that small

Am I reading this wrong? Please explain how.

Dearth 08-15-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 838558)
Am I reading this wrong? Please explain how.

Nope it's a new idea that recently come out for nano systems under 7 gallons there has been a lot of banter over this on other forums like nano reef. In essence take a basic Aquaclear put in chaeto on an algae mat in the chamber slow down the water flow by either putting a smaller impellor in or cutting the blades and the chaeto helps act as a skimmer by trapping organic particles and also releasing nutrients back into the system and doing weekly water changes helps control the PH and nitrates. Mind you the larger the system the less effective this becomes hence it is recommended for nano systems smaller than 7 gallons

Madreefer 08-15-2013 03:39 PM

Another good reason to stay on Canreef or RC for info. :biggrin:
I'd never try that nor suggest that to anyone other than the days way back when I used to smoke alot of pot.