Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is this good enough for support?? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99336)

AquaticFinatic 07-20-2013 04:43 PM

Is this good enough for support??

2 Attachment(s)
So ill start my tank build later but I want your opinions on my support system please. I have a 6' 250g that runs with the joists. I made a support wall and stringers held on open side by 2 jack posts. The second is behind the furnace. All 2x8 with 2x4 for the wall. Its sitting on an out side wall. I had the spray foam guys spray the underside of the floor to help stiffen it up. Opinions please as I think its more than strong enough.

reeferfulton 07-20-2013 04:52 PM

Good job. With a 2x8 beam doubled like that supported with 2 jack posts you are golden.
Should be able to park an elephant up there

WarDog 07-20-2013 06:51 PM

Make sure your jack posts are screwed in and you are good to go. A structural engineer would cringe... but that'll hold the weight for sure.

AquaticFinatic 07-20-2013 07:01 PM

Thanks guys. I know it's not pretty or spot on to an engineer but its the best I could come up with :biggrin: all I need it to do is help hold the tank up.

gregzz4 07-20-2013 08:26 PM

I was going to do the same as you when I had my 125g
A builder aquaintance suggested a 1/4" steel plate of 6x6" or larger under the jack post
The wood you have under it may split and could be a bit larger to prevent the concrete from cracking (it is a concrete floor, ya?)

I also talked to an engineer. Because of the cost of liability I didn't pay him for his services. He told me he entered my flooring and weight specs into his formula and told me that, if I were to pay him, he would suggest the above idea as a minimum, but because I wasn't paying him, he wouldn't be legally allowed to tell me that :wink:

The rest looks great. All I'd add to it is some cross bracing between the new support joists to prevent twisting

Jeff000 07-21-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 833094)
I was going to do the same as you when I had my 125g
A builder aquaintance suggested a 1/4" steel plate of 6x6" or larger under the jack post
The wood you have under it may split and could be a bit larger to prevent the concrete from cracking (it is a concrete floor, ya?)

I also talked to an engineer. Because of the cost of liability I didn't pay him for his services. He told me he entered my flooring and weight specs into his formula and told me that, if I were to pay him, he would suggest the above idea as a minimum, but because I wasn't paying him, he wouldn't be legally allowed to tell me that :wink:

The rest looks great. All I'd add to it is some cross bracing between the new support joists to prevent twisting

Doesn't make sense, a 1/4" 6*6 steel plate would be just as or less effective than the wood he has under.

Myka 07-21-2013 01:01 AM

What's under the jack posts? Concrete slab? If there are no footings poured under the jack posts the jack posts will probably crack the slab. When that happens the shift could cause failure. I've seen pictures of such failures.

sphelps 07-21-2013 01:08 AM

Yeah point loading slab = bad. That's why structural engineers cringe but it'll probably be fine if that helps as it's really not that much weight. Personally would have build a wall in place of the beam and shimed it up tight under the joists to distribute the load.

Myka 07-21-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 833132)
Personally would have build a wall in place of the beam and shimed it up tight under the joists to distribute the load.

That's a good idea. You could build yourself a little "load bearing" closet right there. :razz:

AquaticFinatic 07-21-2013 02:25 AM

So I should just build another wall instead of the posts? From what I can find out the floor is at least 4" thick plus. I know I should have run joists and maybe tripled up but to much wiring and plumbing in the way for that.