Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Herbie overflow tuning (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96370)

mrhasan 04-01-2013 11:52 PM

Herbie overflow tuning

So my new tank came with herbie overflow and I am having an extremely hard time to tune it to a constant level. No matter what, water level always goes down or goes up over hours. This is going to be a big pain with ATO.

So herbie overflow experts, please help :)

subman 04-02-2013 12:00 AM

Are you using a ball or gate valve?
The key is making tiny adjustments and waiting 30min

mrhasan 04-02-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 807717)
Are you using a ball or gate valve?
The key is making tiny adjustments and waiting 30min

Gate valve for the adjustment. So I adjust the valve and wait for 30mins and adjust accordingly? Do I have to do it everytime I turn on/off the return? And how often do I have to adjust it?

subman 04-02-2013 12:07 AM

once you find the sweet spot it should be good. I find I need to open it fully once a month and flush it out.

mrhasan 04-02-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 807722)
once you find the sweet spot it should be good. I find I need to open it fully once a month and flush it out.

Great; that's a relief :P Thanks for the info :)

The Guy 04-02-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 807722)

I find when your sock filter starts to get dirty it ups the level in the overflow, change the sock for a clean one and it's all good. Agree with the sweet spot comment. Also make your adjustments small and like was mentioned wait 30 mins. to see where you end up.

Myka 04-02-2013 01:14 PM

Could you take a pic of it? It shouldn't be that hard to adjust. I'm wondering there is something odd about the way it is set up.

asylumdown 04-02-2013 05:03 PM

Do you have one or two overflows? If two, are they plumbed together with a single outlet to the sump?

mrhasan 04-02-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 807842)
Could you take a pic of it? It shouldn't be that hard to adjust. I'm wondering there is something odd about the way it is set up.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...ps853b060c.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by asylumdown (Post 807892)
Do you have one or two overflows? If two, are they plumbed together with a single outlet to the sump?

Its just a single overflow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clown lover (Post 807802)
I find when your sock filter starts to get dirty it ups the level in the overflow, change the sock for a clean one and it's all good. Agree with the sweet spot comment. Also make your adjustments small and like was mentioned wait 30 mins. to see where you end up.

Yah people do say filter socks sometimes cause more problem than good and so I decided to not use any socks. Will put some sponges between the baffles.

sphelps 04-02-2013 05:52 PM

It's probably one of three things
  1. Operator - improper adjustment, it can take a bit to find that sweet spot, you can sometimes adjust it close to the point walk away only to hear it slurping air a couple minutes later. Then you over compensate in the other direction, always missing the actual point.
  2. Air draw - flow rate is too high for primary pipe in overflow height. The higher the flow rate and the smaller the pipe diameter the higher the intake velocity. The higher the intake velocity the more space you need from the top of primary pipe to operating water level in the overflow. If the space is inadequate you'll gnerate the occasion vortex with brings air into the line which messes up the flow rate.
  3. Inconsistent return flow rate - a few things can cause this but your return pump has to pump a consistent flow rate. Obstructions at the pump intake, air bubbles, poor quality pump are all examples.