Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   New list of reef fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93386)

ruslicus 01-10-2013 09:49 PM

New list of reef fish

HI
I am setting up new 65g system with 25g sump. Currently I have a few corals and Firefish with Yellow tail damsel, transferred from my Nano 28g tank. I am planning to have mainly SPS and few LPS such as hummer and blastomusso (my fave). I want to start thinking about the fish to supplement my small list. I want colorful and interesting type of fish. As well I want to have one school type of fish as well. Want to create a list suitable for my system and reef safe. I love tangs and triggers but I am afraid not suitable. Anyways my idea was, in order to insert into the system:

1. School of chromis/anthias/cardinal fish – 5/6 fishes
2. Picasso in pair with Tomato
3. Tail Spot Blenny (not sure as will be hiding a lot)
4. Looking for one large type fish such as Kole Tang or Yellow Tang or Powder Blue Tang (until gets big :razz:) or Foxface.
Any comments and input are welcome Thank you.

albert_dao 01-10-2013 09:54 PM

Get cardinals as your schooling fish. You can probably add 10 of these without too much issue.

Pick ONE species of clownfish, not two.

The blenny won't add much bioload. Go ahead and add one.

If you want more of a show fish, go with either a Kole Tang or consider something like one of the smaller Geniacanthus angels. If you want a rabbitfish, find yourself a Siganus doliatus. That fish is mack daddy.

Actually, I have better suggestions than this. What's your budget?

ruslicus 01-10-2013 09:57 PM

Now I am working on unlimited budget :) well I want to do my best. interesting about cardinals didn't know. Is the angel reef safe? I heard they are picking on SPS.

chevyjaxon 01-10-2013 10:04 PM

Cardinals arent really swimmers, Angels are reefsafe with caution. the caution part meaning luck of the draw, each fish has a personality all there own so you may or may not get a reef safe angel. pretty sure foxfaces are coral eaters or nippers at the very least, correct me if im wrong. look forward to seeing you progress.

albert_dao 01-10-2013 10:07 PM

Look up Geniacanthus. They're less like angels and more like overgrown anthias.

If you have a good budget, check these out:

• schooling* fish - small group of one of the nicer fairy/flasher wrasses (Lubbocks, Flame, Lineatus, McKosker's, etc), group of Royal Grammas (you have to buy these small and on the SAME DAY that they land, Royal Grammas change sex fast in captivity without a social hierarchy)

• cool little benthic fish - Ember blenny, Blue Spotted Jawfish, Dwarf Golden Moray, Mandarinfish, Yasha Haze Goby w/ Randall's Pistol Shrimp pair.

• showpiece fish - Geniacanthus wantanabei, Chaetodon declivis, Chaetodon mitratus, Marine betta, Starki Damsel, Candycane Hogfish.

albert_dao 01-10-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyjaxon (Post 781027)
Cardinals arent really swimmers, Angels are reefsafe with caution. the caution part meaning luck of the draw, each fish has a personality all there own so you may or may not get a reef safe angel. pretty sure foxfaces are coral eaters or nippers at the very least, correct me if im wrong. look forward to seeing you progress.

Foxfaces are like Angels, you get the one out of 50 that's a stupid outlier.

ruslicus 01-10-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyjaxon (Post 781027)

This why I am looking for anthias or chromis. I want the school but swimming school.
So I guess I will exclude the foxface from my list since it is not reef safe :). But some websites list them as reef safe :)
I need to decide what show fish I need to get. I really like tangs, and was thinking a powder tang to get 2"-3" one and keep couple of years and change it :)

ruslicus 01-10-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 781030)
Look up Geniacanthus. They're less like angels and more like overgrown anthias.

If you have a good budget, check these out:

• schooling* fish - small group of one of the nicer fairy/flasher wrasses (Lubbocks, Flame, Lineatus, McKosker's, etc), group of Royal Grammas (you have to buy these small and on the SAME DAY that they land, Royal Grammas change sex fast in captivity without a social hierarchy)

• cool little benthic fish - Ember blenny, Blue Spotted Jawfish, Dwarf Golden Moray, Mandarinfish, Yasha Haze Goby w/ Randall's Pistol Shrimp pair.

• showpiece fish - Geniacanthus wantanabei, Chaetodon declivis, Chaetodon mitratus, Marine betta, Starki Damsel, Candycane Hogfish.

Thank you Albert. I will have to look in all of these type of fishes and mostly to find one who sells them :) One more thing I forgot to mention I have barebottom tank so no gobies :)

SoloSK71 01-10-2013 11:11 PM

Isn't the marine betta a carnivore and will eat smaller fish as well as some invertebrates?

Charles

chevyjaxon 01-10-2013 11:33 PM

fairy wrasses are good, anemone and clown is neat too!