Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   White Slime (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93354)

RenHoek104 01-09-2013 07:57 PM

White Slime

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
So far my tank has been a nightmare. It started with ammonia spikes after the cycle was over, zoas that refuse to open and now I have this strange white slime over some of my rocks. I went to two stores, one said it's a sponge and the other has no idea, but told me the lack of live rock is probably a problem. He also told me to test my water for phosphates, which I did and I got 0ppm. While we are on the subject, NO2=NO3=NH3=0, pH = 8.2, NaCl= 1.024, Ca= 480, KH=11 and that's about it. I have no idea what's going on inside. I've found baby nassarius snails, which is cool, but everything else is going wrong. My blue gudgeon is also showing signs of wear and tear. I don't know why, but still. I've added pictures of the slime to hopefully get an answer. Thanks guys,
Ren

Cal_stir 01-09-2013 08:56 PM

looks like a bacteria film, are you carbon dosing ?

subman 01-09-2013 09:35 PM

+1 are you running bio pellets

RenHoek104 01-09-2013 09:54 PM

No carbon nor bio pellets.

RenHoek104 01-09-2013 10:00 PM

I did, however, use some Kent Tech-I, Kent Coral Accel and Kent Coral-Vite. I used a half dose only, to be safe.
Ren

RenHoek104 01-09-2013 10:04 PM

I was also told by a local reefer, it might be due to the lack of live rock in the tank. Does that make any sense? I only have 15 lbs of live rock in a 30 gallons tank. I think I'll go pick up some more tomorrow morning.
Ren

mrhasan 01-09-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenHoek104 (Post 780603)
I was also told by a local reefer, it might be due to the lack of live rock in the tank. Does that make any sense? I only have 15 lbs of live rock in a 30 gallons tank. I think I'll go pick up some more tomorrow morning.
Ren

I don't think its for the amount of LR you have (I might be totally wrong) but you definitely need more LR for the system!!! That's just way too less. As far as science goes, less LR = less filtration = more problems given that you don't have other form of denitrifying bacteria host.

subman jr. 01-09-2013 11:33 PM

The amount of live rock won't be the cause of the slime. The amount of LR has ore to do with the amount of livestock in the tank than the water volume of the tank.

What are the additives you added for? I am not familiar with them. If one of them is a carbon source they could be the cause. (It's not carbon for filtering it's Carbon source like vinegar or Vodka to increase the bacteria in the Aquarium)

RenHoek104 01-10-2013 01:58 PM

Iodine for a better release, read iodine is good for zoas.
Vitae to help give essential amino acids and trace elements.
Accel to help frags grow faster.
Only thing that i can see why i have slime.
Ren

subman 01-10-2013 03:34 PM

What do you have for livestock?
What kind of salt?
Anything die lately?
What's your water change schedule?

*I see you stock list in the signature now*