Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Additives that actually help corals. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90856)

rhody605 10-19-2012 04:25 AM

Additives that actually help corals.

Hello all. I am perplexed by the number of bottles of additives for corals. Vitamins and additional minerals
Phyoto, zooplex, The list goes on.

There are also several brands. Kent, Reef. Sea chem.

So my long listed question is what do you prefer or suggest that helps maintain/ promote coral growth?
But I'm not referring to calc, alk, or mag doses.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefwars 10-19-2012 04:41 AM

lights ;PP

check out fauna marin they have some nice stuff for corals:)

mrhasan 10-19-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhody605 (Post 756164)
Hello all. I am perplexed by the number of bottles of additives for corals. Vitamins and additional minerals
Phyoto, zooplex, The list goes on.

There are also several brands. Kent, Reef. Sea chem.

So my long listed question is what do you prefer or suggest that helps maintain/ promote coral growth?
But I'm not referring to calc, alk, or mag doses.

Mike

Mysis shrimp and brine shrimp :D

I got an acan from Denny (reefwars) like a month ago with around 3 or 4 heads and it became 8; thanks to mysis, brine, water change, no additives/suppliments, some flaming (:razz:) and great advice from some great people :D

Not to forget light ;)

whatcaneyedo 10-19-2012 02:02 PM

If your lighting, water quality, filtration or flow is less than optimal no amount of additives will provide much benefit. And this works both ways, if your system is the pinnacle of perfection then tampering with the ecological balance you've achieved may actually adversely effect the inhabitants of your tank. Basically its my belief that 99% of the 'additives' (apart from food and calcium carbonate supplements) available are a waste of money that should better be spent on aquarium equipment. That being said, I do use a little bit of Lugol's Solution each week. :mrgreen: I know, I'm a hypocrite.

kien 10-19-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhody605 (Post 756164)
Hello all. I am perplexed by the number of bottles of additives for corals...
Mike

There is one additive that I've found really helps coral in my experience. Salt. Trust me, it works!

______
Sent from the future on my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk

Aquattro 10-19-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 756267)
There is one additive that I've found really helps coral in my experience. Salt. Trust me, it works!

That's so old school.

kien 10-19-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 756268)
That's so old school.

you wanna talk about old school? I'm still running metal halides :lol: I know, some of you young pups are probably like, WTF is a metal halide?!

Anyway, further on the topic of additives. I myself have steered away from anything that I didn't know what it did for the tank. A lot of bottles have very vague descriptions of their purpose and sometimes contents even.

Reef_Geek 10-19-2012 04:20 PM

it's so true though. I was at a LFS and looking at their wall of bottles... the shop keeper walks by and points out about 6 different bottles that are 'must haves' and walks away. My wife comments, "too bad there's not one product that has everything" to which I replied... "there is, it's called salt mix"

PS- I too am old school. My tank is "Berlin System" except I've upgraded my MH to LED. No sump, just a whole lotta live rock.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...54167112_n.jpg

reefwars 10-19-2012 04:43 PM

i drop a big mac combo daily into my system....at night we do cheesecake
:P

Reef_Geek 10-19-2012 04:49 PM

and Schooner lager from Oland Brewery

only east coast beers work... it's the strangest thing.

Alexander Keith's used to work but now it just lowers salinity... had to settle for Moosehead. Clancy's Red works magic but difficult to find outside of maritimes.