Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Any Tips or Tricks for Clown Fish? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86002)

krisalexander 05-02-2012 05:13 AM

Any Tips or Tricks for Clown Fish?

Maybe a stupid question, and I know the real answer is wait until they do it, but I sometimes get a bit impatient.

Anyone had any luck with any tricks to getting clowns to host in their Anemone?

I have had a couple of clowns for 2 months and a GBTA for a month.

thanks!

Kris

ryanb69 05-02-2012 06:04 AM

I have heard of people putting pictures of clowns hosting anemones against the glass, so your clowns can see them hosting. Its a really far out plan, but some people claim it helps

ElGuappo 05-02-2012 07:08 AM

I've done the pic thing. It worked for me. 8 months no hosting and 3 days after the pic went up they started hosting

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk.

lockrookie 05-02-2012 07:23 AM

clowns are evil.. that being said the pic things work as well as just wait they will find and the interspecies love making threesome will ensue.

fishytime 05-02-2012 01:16 PM

You can also try placing a mirror as close to the nem as you can..... They also may never host..... What kind of clowns are they?....are they captive raised or wild clowns?....

krisalexander 05-02-2012 06:14 PM

I will try the picture, I have an impatient girl friend who didnt like the tank purchase! :biggrin: if it wasnt for the clowns she would completely hate the tank.

They are tank-bred from a local distributor here in the GVRD.

I am hoping this picture idea works!

thanks for the help!

daniella3d 05-03-2012 02:33 AM

Some clown with never host an anemone. I had 2 occellaris for about a year and they never even got close to my anemone. I tried the picture thing and it did not work either. I ended up selling those clownfish and bought to babies black ice (also occellaris) and in less than 2 days they were hosting. They are now hosting 2 anemones (sebae) and a duncan part time.

It's cute to see each clownfish go into its own anemone at night to sleep.

The tric here was to replace the clownfish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisalexander (Post 712504)
Maybe a stupid question, and I know the real answer is wait until they do it, but I sometimes get a bit impatient.

Anyone had any luck with any tricks to getting clowns to host in their Anemone?

I have had a couple of clowns for 2 months and a GBTA for a month.

thanks!

Kris

paddyob 05-03-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanb69 (Post 712509)
I have heard of people putting pictures of clowns hosting anemones against the glass, so your clowns can see them hosting. Its a really far out plan, but some people claim it helps

It worked for me. Ken a BW told me about it. Within a few days they were hosting.

Used a pic of the sake type clowns in a similar nem... Printed to scale of real life, taped up and watched.

Amazed. Truly amazed.

arash53 05-03-2012 03:03 AM

Are they currently hosted in something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chewie 05-03-2012 03:32 AM

hosting trick

you could try to put a fake clown near or in the nem. By fake i mean one like the kind that comes on some of the veggi clips sold, or hunt toy store, 2nd hand store for a plastic nemo toy ( would feel safer with clip one as it IS tank safe, not sure about others) I had a freind try this with great success.