Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   BRS dual reactor (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85878)

coolhandgoose 04-29-2012 05:41 PM

BRS dual reactor

Does anyone have one of these? Just wondering if it's worth while getting the dual reactor or two individual ones?

Coralgurl 04-29-2012 05:51 PM

I have the dual reactor running on my 180 gl display plus 80 gl sump. There was some talk that these are rated to 120 gl, however I'm already seeing noticeable improvements after running for a short time, and haven't maxed out the amount of media the canisters hold. My vote - go for it!

coolhandgoose 04-29-2012 06:31 PM

Sweet, thanks. It's on my wishlist for the upcoming group buy.

Coralgurl 04-29-2012 06:43 PM

I picked mine up on the last group buy, so I've only had it going for a week...lol. I'm impressed already with the difference it's making!!

bignose 04-29-2012 07:58 PM

if you can afford it get 2 separate reactors and run them off a manifold. Different media require different flow. I have the dual and only use one chamber now.

shootingstar 04-29-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bignose (Post 711313)
if you can afford it get 2 separate reactors and run them off a manifold. Different media require different flow. I have the dual and only use one chamber now.

I would say yes and no to the above. If you want to run two different media then separate reactors would be better, as they do appreciate different flow rates.

If you have a large tank and want the same media, but a larger amount in both chambers of the dual reactor then it is ideal.

I run a single for carbon and a dual for GFO.

whatcaneyedo 04-29-2012 08:57 PM

I've been using a dual for a little over a year because I didn't want the extra clutter of two singles. I also only run a minimal amount of GFO and carbon at a time so it seems to work well for my 240gal system. The BRS instructional videos do a really good job of stating the pros and cons of this item.

coolhandgoose 04-29-2012 09:08 PM

I was planning on running gfo then carbon, kinda like how they do in the video.

daplatapus 04-30-2012 01:34 AM

If you have the room, I'd recommend going 2 separate reactors as well. Sometimes you need to run more carbon (like when you have some chemical warfare in-tank going on), or you've got your phosphate totally under control and don't need to run much GFO. Pretty easy to do either with separate reactors, but possibly a waste with only one. As mentioned each run more efficiently with different flow rates. And depending on what's going on in the tank, one may get exhausted quicker than the other.

e46er 04-30-2012 01:41 AM

Id vote or 2 reactors

based on stuff thats already been said

more of 1 than the other, different flow rates

I have 3 reactors biopellets,Gfo, carbon