Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cleaning light fixture glass (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85798)

bkelly 04-27-2012 05:25 AM

cleaning light fixture glass

Whats the best way to really clean clear my MH/T5 light fixture glass. Ive been using vinegar and vinegar/RO water but still seems to leave a haze. the glass is in mint shape just want to get really clear. if i remove it has anyone used windex?

reefwars 04-27-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkelly (Post 710427)
Whats the best way to really clean clear my MH/T5 light fixture glass. Ive been using vinegar and vinegar/RO water but still seems to leave a haze. the glass is in mint shape just want to get really clear. if i remove it has anyone used windex?

clr perhaps?? im in the same boat lol tried last night with vinegar :P

reefwars 04-27-2012 05:27 AM

i tried windex last night didnt work for me, same for soaking in vinegar:(

Delphinus 04-27-2012 05:30 AM

I use vinegar and a razor blade..

Mike-fish 04-27-2012 05:34 AM

vinager and a little elbow grease works for me

gregzz4 04-27-2012 05:35 AM

On my old 6' fixture I used a cheapo dollar store scrubbie and water. No vinegar, no bleach, just water. Well, maybe some elbow grease, but you can get that anywhere :razz:
I also used the same on the glass tops on my old 6' FW tank.
Nothing like a scrubbie.

Scrubbies are not to be used on acrylic covers !!! Just a wash with whatever you like

gregzz4 04-27-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 710430)
i tried windex last night didnt work for me, same for soaking in vinegar:(

I found with my last FW tank ...
If you let it go too long the lights cook it on and then good luck

TimT 04-27-2012 06:40 AM

Use diluted muriatic acid. 1 part acid to 4 parts water. ONLY EVER ADD THE ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER INTO ACID!!!

Delphinus 04-27-2012 02:50 PM

I use muriatic acid on some things too and did use it to clean my halide glass a couple times (heavily diluted) but even diluted the stuff is nasty to work with. It hurts to breathe that stuff, so ventilation is something of a must, and disposable work gloves also a good idea because if you have any kind of cuts or scratches on your fingers and you get it into that, it's an unpleasant time. With that said though, man that stuff makes cleanup an easy breezey 1-2-3 kind of task. Like Tim said: "acid into water, not water into acid".

Nano 04-27-2012 02:56 PM

I've always just used water and a sponge, its tricky to get it all off, but I think the trick is to clean it, let it dry, clean the sponge or towel, use clean water/vinegar, repeat as necessary. even with my FW tank with no salt, I still get build up of sorts, and its tough to get it perfect