Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Leaking Overflow Bulkhead (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84432)

clowny 03-20-2012 04:08 AM

Leaking Overflow Bulkhead

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased a tank about 1 year ago and have finally ordered all the parts and supplies to get it going. As I was filling the tank I found a massive leak between the glass and the bulk head in the Overflow. I tried to tighten but as I turned the nut the whole bulkhead turned with it. Now the problem is I cannot move the nut without moving the whole bulk head. Problem 2 is the nut is in the overflow. How do i fix/remove this bulk head???? to make sure this leak is settled before the wife kills me and the hard wood is ruined?! Picture added. the 1.5 inch bulk head is the leaking one (big one).

Nano 03-20-2012 04:10 AM

you'll have to remove it, (if possible) the silicone the gasket to the glass, then silicone the bulkhead to the gasket, then a nice bead around the bulkhead, problem solved. I had the same problem, and now I'm having others ;)

clowny 03-20-2012 04:12 AM

any advice on how to remove it? we tried for 2 hours turning and turning I guess I will just keep twisting and hope it finally starts to losen.

Nano 03-20-2012 04:15 AM

:lol: are you twisting it the right way ;) they are trick once they get tightened I found. might have to get your wife to hold from the top and you screw from the bottom, remember righty tighty lefty loosey

clowny 03-20-2012 04:21 AM

LOL yeah we were twisting left the problem is the previous owner glued or sealed the nut to the bulk head thus causing them to twist together.

Tom R 03-20-2012 04:54 AM

It is probably not glued. It is probably frozen with salt creep. I used a hacksaw blade on a stick to cut one side. This was very difficult.

I do not think that you can fix it without getting it out.

Good luck

Tom R

Mike-fish 03-20-2012 05:00 AM

2 channel lock pliers should do the trick

gregzz4 03-20-2012 05:44 AM

I wish you luck getting it out.

You say the nut is in the overflow ..... I hope this means the bulkhead goes into the overflow from the tank. If it exits the overflow to air, then it was installed backwards and this may be why it leaked.
The gasket goes on the wet side and the nut goes on the dry side. The reason for this is how it seats to the gasket.
Anyway ....
Once you get it out, I'd recommend you buy a new replacement and install it dry. Just past hand tight is a starting point. The gaskets do not like to seal more than once, so make sure you are finished playing with the plumbing before you tighten it.
I learned this when I tried to turn one last month. It would not re-seal.

Silicone may work for some, but it's not recommended as it can cause the gasket to squish out.

fishytime 03-20-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 695882)
I wish you luck getting it out.

You say the nut is in the overflow ..... I hope this means the bulkhead goes into the overflow from the tank. If it exits the overflow to air, then it was installed backwards and this may be why it leaked.
The gasket goes on the wet side and the nut goes on the dry side. The reason for this is how it seats to the gasket.
Anyway ....
Once you get it out, I'd recommend you buy a new replacement and install it dry. Just past hand tight is a starting point. The gaskets do not like to seal more than once, so make sure you are finished playing with the plumbing before you tighten it.
I learned this when I tried to turn one last month. It would not re-seal.

Silicone may work for some, but it's not recommended as it can cause the gasket to squish out.

+1....previous owner installed the bulkhead wrong....... a good general rule is to replace any bulkheads when buying a used system.....or at least the gaskets...I would also add that when you instal the bulkhead dry, make sure the glass on both side of the hole are squeaky clean

gregzz4 03-20-2012 06:00 AM

Ack, I didn't look at the pictures.

Yup, your bulkheads are backwards. Better replace both as you're probably going to trash them during removal.