Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Flame Angel Reef Safe? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83402)

Reefie 02-22-2012 08:40 PM

Flame Angel Reef Safe?

I've always wanted one of these bad boys. I love the colour and livelyhood of them. The problem is if they are reef safe? I have an SPS dominated tank with a few LPS and 5 Crocea Clams.

I've been told that they are 50/50 chance of nipping at my corals. I've also read of quite a few accounts online that they haven't nipped at corals in quite a few tanks.

I'm asking for your opinions and experiences, so I can make my decision whether or not to risk getting one.

Delphinus 02-22-2012 08:50 PM

Most likely you will be OK, but there are exceptions. Each fish is an individual and you can't generalize that they will 100% be reef safe. That said, IME, flame angels and potters angels tend to be among the least likely to nip corals. I've had both and none ever touched SPS or clams. FWIW, my potters angel does nip at my gorgonians however to the point where they are declining. Eventually I will have to rehome her or lose the gorgs.

Bblinks 02-22-2012 08:52 PM

I don't like it.... my vote is NO!

Reefie 02-22-2012 09:10 PM

So far, we have a tie.
1 FOR
1 AGAINST

kien 02-22-2012 09:16 PM

I have owned two, my current one is not reef safe. Loves to nip everything. My previous one was SPS safe but clam and LPS unsafe.

As tony said, it's more to do with the individual fish rather than the type of fish in many cases. I have a Regal tang that is starting to develop a taste for clams. Plus, now that my Purple Tang has seen my Regal Tang nip at clams my Purple Tang is starting to get in on the clam nipping action :( Most people would consider both fish reef safe :-)

Coleus 02-22-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 685303)
Plus, now that my Purple Tang has seen my Regal Tang nip at clams my Purple Tang is starting to get in on the clam nipping action :( Most people would consider both fish reef safe :-)

Not their fault, i blame on your clams beauty which attract them.

About flames angel i think it is a miss and hit so if you feel lucky go with it. I have mine and they nip here and there but i don't care

Casey8 02-22-2012 09:55 PM

Mine is never touching anything, maybe I am just lucky.

globaldesigns 02-22-2012 09:56 PM

I have a Flame and a Potter's, both are reef safe. But as others stated, it is a gamble, beautiful fish if you wish to take the chance.

kien 02-22-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coleus (Post 685314)
Not their fault, i blame on your clams beauty which attract them.

About flames angel i think it is a miss and hit so if you feel lucky go with it. I have mine and they nip here and there but i don't care

this is a good point. they are beautifully delicious.

subman 02-22-2012 09:59 PM

I have a coral beauty it's never touched anything but..... I think it's 50/50 at best depends on the individual fish