Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Live rock on eggcrate, sand or on bottom? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81984)

Reef Pilot 01-12-2012 10:20 PM

Live rock on eggcrate, sand or on bottom?

I will be setting up a new tank downstairs, and resetting my current one upstairs. I have seen several different ways that people have set up their live rock, and need to decide how to do mine.

Some are setting it on eggcrate on the bottom glass. What's the reasoning behind this? Is it just to keep it from sliding around on the bottom and not scratching the glass or acrylic? My concern would be that detritus would get trapped there and collect nitrate and phosphates.

And some have just set the live rock on some sand, and some right on the bottom.

My current tank has about 3 inches of coarse sand (sort of like crushed coral and rubble). I have trouble keeping my nitrates low in this tank now, and I think it is because the of the sand. I vacuum what I can, and a lot of crap comes out of it. But much of the sand is under the live rock and at the back where I can't get at it, so I am sure it must be very full of detritus.

So with my new tank and with resetting my old one, I would like to use the same sand, but a lot less of it, just enough to cover the bottom. I would prefer to just set the live rock on the tank bottom, and work the sand around it.

Any comments and opinions about this?

hillegom 01-12-2012 10:46 PM

I put eggcrate down first and then the LR. You could just use pieces of eggcrate under the rocks. I used eggcrate because I think it spreads out the weight of the LR. Also, if you have burrowing fish, the LR won't shift and or scratch the glass. Not that that matters IMO.

Nano 01-12-2012 10:47 PM

eggcrate

NU-2reef 01-12-2012 10:51 PM

Also if a larger piece of Lr were to fall and displace the sand, then the eggcrate will prevent the glass bottom from breaking.

Bblinks 01-12-2012 10:52 PM

+2 eggcrate

cale262 01-12-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillegom (Post 670530)
I put eggcrate down first and then the LR. You could just use pieces of eggcrate under the rocks. I used eggcrate because I think it spreads out the weight of the LR...

+1 for the same reasons...

Although, I'm considering placing a piece of black acrylic on the bottom of my next build with no sand...

Reef Pilot 01-13-2012 12:08 AM

Sounds like eggcrate is the winner. Thanks everyone for your help.

lockrookie 01-13-2012 12:16 AM

depending on your substrate your power heads/ fish may move your sandaroundand youll see the egg crate i may put acrilic down personally should give enough protection from falling rocks especially with sand to cushion it

reefwars 01-13-2012 12:20 AM

if you do go eggcrate leave it 2" away from the edges all around that ways you can still scrape the glass to the bottom with a blade and if you have any sand sifters it wont show eggcrate right up against your glass;P

not a fan of just eggcrate under rocks as if your like me i change my scape quite a bit :)

Reef Pilot 01-13-2012 02:08 AM

All good points and advice. Thanks again. guys.

And I guess detritus collecting in the eggcrate is a non-issue?