Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ick Help! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8148)

butters88 02-20-2004 08:51 PM

Ick Help!

My fish have ick :cry: :cry: I'm planning to try and use garlic first, and if it comes down to it, go through the PITA process of catching them and quarantining them :mad:
For those people who have treated with garlic before, which of the following is best to use: fresh cut garlic, pure garlic extract, or garlic extreme? And how much would I use?
:arrow: I thank you for your input in advance :biggrin:

Aquattro 02-20-2004 10:11 PM

I used fresh squeezed garlic. Cheapest and freshest form available. I made sure the food was well covered. Feed nori or flake...something that will absorb the oil.

Werbo 02-20-2004 10:37 PM

Fresh squeezed garlic?? Where do u buy it from? Health food store?
Whats the name brand?

Beverly 02-20-2004 10:37 PM

Re: Ick Help!

I'm using Garlic Xtreme. Don't have to mess with real garlic on a daily basis, just use the dropper and away you go.

Recipe for my yellow tailed angel and fairy wrasses:

- 14 drops GX
- an equal measure of Kent Zoe
- a couple of pinches of powdered Acquamarine Immune Boost
- one teaspoon frozen PE mysis

Mix the GX, Zoe and IB well, add frozen mysis. Soak in fridge overnight. Makes enough for two feedings. Store in fridge between feedings.

Have been giving my ich fish this stuff for the past 3 weeks. Am sure the wrasses are benefitting from the mixture and have seen no ich on them in that time. The angel, on the other hand, is mostly white and eats all kinds of things besides the mysis (xenia, brown star polyps, macroalgae), so I'm not sure if angel is as well protected against ich. Hard to tell if it has been infected over the past three weeks because of its colour, but I'm leaning toward the positive. Will continue to monitor the angel on this diet for another 3-4 weeks to make sure it is ich-free.

butters88 02-20-2004 10:50 PM

Hm,...If I use cut garlic, can I crush a whole bunch of it, keep it in the fridge, and then use it to soak food when I feed?
Or would I have to cut a fresh batch each time?
Also, is there any difference btwn garlic products and fresh cut garlic?

pocilipora 02-21-2004 01:17 AM

Ive got a full bottle of "Garlic Extreme" you can have if you come get it... :cool:

Aquattro 02-21-2004 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski
Fresh squeezed garlic?? Where do u buy it from? Health food store?
Whats the name brand?

Fresh garlic cloves, squeezed in a garlic press.

monza 02-21-2004 02:25 AM

I just 'wack' a fresh garlic glove and toss it with some food and let it marinade for a while and take the garlic out.

Dave

wack.. with a flat object smash the garlic on a hard surface. It then stays sort of whole but gets juicy.

props 02-21-2004 03:54 AM

use a blender to cut em garlic then use a lil bit of water then squeeze =o)

butters88 02-21-2004 06:36 AM

I finished cutting some garlic up and soaking the food with it quite a while ago, still haven't been able to get rid of the smell from my hands :eek:
Chris, I may just take you up on the garlic xtreme offer :biggrin: