Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GFO and Carbon Question (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80842)

Ryan_Lap 12-08-2011 03:24 AM

GFO and Carbon Question

I plan on both running the carbon rox and the GFO high capacity. According to the BRS calculator for my needs it recommends I use .69 cup of carbon and .86 cup of gfo. Obviously this isnt very much. I would change the carbon every 2 - 3 weeks and the gfo when needed (probably every 8 weeks or so).

Now to the question. Can I run both medias in the same reactor? I would simply just put floss between the 2 medias so they wouldnt mix and I could change them at different times. Does this work, or must I run a reactor for each media?

Thanks in advance

e46er 12-08-2011 03:26 AM

they require different flow rates
Id run them seperate

fishytime 12-08-2011 03:26 AM

no.......gfo and carbon have different optimal flow rates......gfo is 200-400 gph and carbon is 400-600 gph

Ryan_Lap 12-08-2011 03:34 AM

so do I use different pumps then to achieve what flow I need? Or use a flow re-stricter and guess.

Also looking at ordering from cacoreef I notice their carbon is rox1.3. On the video for the reactor it states to run 3 cups of carbon and I think 2 cups of phosphate. Do I do this or follow BRS reccomendations? Id like to hear from people that run the media from cacoreef in regards to how much they use and how often they change it.

Madreefer 12-08-2011 03:35 AM

Same pump with a tee yes. But wouldn't advise to running in same reactor just as others stated. I run a 1/2 cup in each reactor and change out once a month. But what works for me may not for you

Ryan_Lap 12-08-2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 658516)
Same pump with a tee yes. But wouldn't advise to running in same reactor just as others stated. I run a 1/2 cup in each reactor and change out once a month. But what works for me may not for you

I know when it is time to change the gfo, but what is a good indicator to change the carbon?

The Grizz 12-08-2011 03:44 AM

As for amounts, if your running CaCo carbon use his recommended amount, if BFS use there's.

I change my carbon monthly. I believe there is a way to regen CaCo's GFO.

Ryan_Lap 12-08-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 658525)
As for amounts, if your running CaCo carbon use his recommended amount, if BFS use there's.

I change my carbon monthly. I believe there is a way to regen CaCo's GFO.

Caco states the reactor holds 3 cups carbon and 2 gfo. I cant find anywhere where it states how much to run. Im not sure just because it holds that much I should run that much.

reefwars 12-08-2011 03:49 AM

like mad said if you can you can run it on the same line as your return pump with a t andsome ball valves or better yet a gatevalve(pricey though)

i change carbon monthly and gfo when ever i see a rise in phosphate:)

The Grizz 12-08-2011 03:51 AM

Are you running CaCo's reactors? If so maybe start with them half full.