Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   anyone from edmonton also dealing with green hair algie blooms (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80730)

isaac1 12-05-2011 02:05 AM

anyone from edmonton also dealing with green hair algie blooms

I'm not sure if its because of city water or what but myself and almost every one I talk to in fish stores are having simalir problems

Beverly 12-05-2011 02:20 AM

I'm using Edmonton tapwater (treated with Prime) and am not having any algae problems. I do weekly 20-25% water changes on my 10g, though, siphon out the crud on the bottom of the tank as well as clean the foam filter. Also don't have much of a bioload - just hitchhikers and soft and lps coral frags. Tank's been up for just over two months and hasn't had any algae issues due to the serious husbandry.

BlueTang<3 12-05-2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac1 (Post 657029)
I'm not sure if its because of city water or what but myself and almost every one I talk to in fish stores are having simalir problems

What size of tank, can you tell us a little more about your setup?

isaac1 12-05-2011 02:55 AM

35 gallon t5ho lights 2 450 korila power heads 40 pounds live rock 30 pounds sand 2 clowns 2 striped damsels frogspawn 2 bubble tip anenomes hammer corals an entire rock engulfed in greenstar polyps pulsing xenia 1 brain coral 3 plate corals two candy canes 8 ricordia mushrooms redsea prizm skimmer 8 sandsifting snails 2 turbos an emrald crab witch I bought to eat the green hair but dosnt and 2 peppermint shrimp and o ya 1 blenny I change my water every two weeks 15 percent and do fresh water top ups every couple days I turned my lights on a 8 hour runtime from 12 I've delt with it before but I put a yellow tang in the tank and it was gone and under control thow when he died I noticed a couple weeks later it started comming back

RyanJ 12-05-2011 03:02 AM

Do you know what your ph/dkh/cal/mag/po4/sillica parameters are??

intarsiabox 12-05-2011 03:07 AM

I've been using tap water in my 30g that I've had set up for the last three months and a very neglected 25g tank still at my parents house from 7 months ago and still have had no algae issues.

isaac1 12-05-2011 03:11 AM

Ph is 8.3 ammonia is 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 and truthfully I don't even bother checking the other levels now ppl call me crazy but I can tell pretty much just by looking at my corals and watching the fish when levels are gertting out of control thow it could have somthing to do with phosphates

RyanJ 12-05-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac1 (Post 657068)
Ph is 8.3 ammonia is 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 and truthfully I don't even bother checking the other levels now ppl call me crazy but I can tell pretty much just by looking at my corals and watching the fish when levels are gertting out of control thow it could have somthing to do with phosphates

Yep you are. Are you running gfo and carbon?? Cuz there could be phosphates and Sullicas building up... Well if u have hair algee.. U have phosphates. Check them and do something to control them. SLOWLY!! Cuz if you have no phosphates and Sullica, your algee will have no food. And get yourself a sea hair! He will eat up what's left on your rock.. Before u do anything else.. Check your phosphates.

reefwars 12-05-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanJ (Post 657074)
Yep you are. Are you running gfo and carbon?? Cuz there could be phosphates and Sullicas building up... Well if u have hair algee.. U have phosphates. Check them and do something to control them. SLOWLY!! Cuz if you have no phosphates and Sullica, your algee will have no food. And get yourself a sea hair! He will eat up what's left on your rock.. Before u do anything else.. Check your phosphates.

+1 its the phos, gfo or " phosdown" and get strict on what hits your tank...sea hares are great but be sure to pass him on to another reefer once your algae is gone as he will starve without gha.

dc4 12-05-2011 05:14 AM

Keep in mind though, even if you dont get a reading for phosphate, doesnt mean that you dont have any as the algae is probably absorbing it all and would cause a false reading. I know that is what happened to my smaller tank that had hair algae, I didnt have any phosphate readings at all but algar was growing everywhere. I got a seahare and it did a great job on it but unless you fix the cause, it will never go away, my issue was overfeeding. :redface: