Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New setup FOWLR - Detritus (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79670)

Harpo 11-01-2011 04:02 AM

New setup FOWLR - Detritus

Hi Guys & Gals,

I just set up a new tank...should I start sucking Detritus up right away or leave it there for a bit?

Also, When should I start checking the parimeters of the tank? My salinity right now is 1.020... How fast can I bump it up? Take my time or get it up right away. Tank has not cycled yet.

Thanks,

mark 11-01-2011 10:34 AM

is there any livestock in the tank or detritus just off the rock?

Beverly 11-01-2011 01:38 PM

Siphon detritus as often as possible, even on cycling tanks. I do it every weekly water change. To export even more detritus, use a turkey baster (one that's used only for your tank) and blow detritus off the rock onto the bottom of the tank, then siphon it our. I'm assuming your tank has no sandbed, though. I don't know how you'd siphon detritus from your sandbed without removing sand.

pscott99 11-01-2011 02:12 PM

Get your salt up to 1.025 and keep it there. Don't bother testing for a couple weeks. Keep a good log. Read the sticky's on cycling. Good luck have fun !! Don't put fish in until your ammonia and nitrite are consistently 0000.

Harpo 11-03-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 646770)
is there any livestock in the tank or detritus just off the rock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 646776)
Siphon detritus as often as possible, even on cycling tanks. I do it every weekly water change. To export even more detritus, use a turkey baster (one that's used only for your tank) and blow detritus off the rock onto the bottom of the tank, then siphon it our. I'm assuming your tank has no sandbed, though. I don't know how you'd siphon detritus from your sandbed without removing sand.

This tank only has live rock and a sandbed. I have been removing the detritus as soon as I see it. I loose some sand but if its better to get rid of the detritus FAST i dont mind about the little bit of sand I lose.

Thanks for the imput!

Harpo 11-03-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscott99 (Post 646781)
Get your salt up to 1.025 and keep it there. Don't bother testing for a couple weeks. Keep a good log. Read the sticky's on cycling. Good luck have fun !! Don't put fish in until your ammonia and nitrite are consistently 0000.

Do I bump the Salinity up fast or slowly? All my levels are at ZERO right now but it may change as soon as it cycles.

Beverly 11-03-2011 02:15 AM

If you only have rock and a sandbed, I don't think it matters very much if you adjust the salinity quickly instead of over a period of days. JMHO,, though :)

pscott99 11-03-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 647152)
If you only have rock and a sandbed, I don't think it matters very much if you adjust the salinity quickly instead of over a period of days. JMHO,, though :)

Yes no worries. You are taking your time this is good. It becomes very expensive if you don't.

Harpo 11-24-2011 01:56 AM

So my snails are living and I have added 2 emerald crabs and a sand golby.... it has been 4 days and they are dead....all my levels are perfect and salinity is 1.025 and temp is around 28 degrees....WHY did they dye? This is my second attempt at the crabs .... I don't think my tank has cycled yet... I set the tank up on Oct 29th and it was a partially established tank...

ANY SUGGESTIONS/INSIGHT PLEASE........

Nano 11-24-2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpo (Post 647137)
Do I bump the Salinity up fast or slowly? All my levels are at ZERO right now but it may change as soon as it cycles.

I would take it over a few days fish or not, personally. salinity is a weird thing you could bring a fish down to hypo salinity in 24 hours, but to bring it back up to a normal salinity you would have to go over a few days/weeks! in your case I'd say raise it a bit each day never a full point in 24 hours though