Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Plumbing question (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78121)

cchomistek 09-02-2011 01:40 AM

Plumbing question

Ok I am thinking of doing a build where I have a tank and sump in two different rooms. My problem is with the drain line going to the sump. My thoughts are to have a small tank sealed with two bulkheads in it like a reservoir tank and then have an external pump that will pump up about 9 ft and then go across about 15ft and drop down into the room where the sump will be located.

My issue is if this pump under the tank ever decides to fail and the return pump in the sump room keeps going what will be the outcome. Since the water will be traveling above the water line in the tank I will assume that it will only rise as high as the water level and then fill up the overflow box and flood that. Now this being the case if I had an emergency overflow going to a small reservoir tank that will hold the amount of water that my return section of my sump holds would this not eliminate cover me in case this happens??

Any suggestions are welcome. The reason I am looking at going this way as there is not room underneath the tank to put a decent size sump.

Thanks
Craig

fishytime 09-02-2011 02:43 AM

ok.......why is the drain a problem?......Im not understanding the issue:biggrin:

Parker 09-02-2011 02:49 AM

I think...... He wants to drain down to a sealed unit and the pump up and over?...

cchomistek 09-02-2011 02:51 AM

Ok the issue being if the pump that is pumping under the tank fails what will happen because the return pump will still be pumping water and thus there will be water coming over from the sump but no water returning to the sump because that pump is not running! Will this not result in a flood unless there is some other measure taken?

cchomistek 09-02-2011 02:52 AM

Yes Parker that is exactly what I am thinking!

Lampshade 09-02-2011 03:01 AM

If you go with a small return section in your sump your pump will get starved of water before your tank overflows... it's my "herbie" system failsafe. My pump cannot overtop my tank since there isn't enough water to do that. As long as you have an ATO shouldn't be a problem keeping levels. same as how we build our sumps to be able to hold enough water with return pumps shutting off, you can do the tank the same. 1" in a large tank is a LOT of water.

cwatkins 09-02-2011 03:03 AM

I'd suggest a controller and a bunch of float switches!

This sounds a little dangerous!

Lampshade 09-02-2011 03:07 AM

Float switches sound good, I didn't think of he amount of water that's going to be in the pipes, 30 feet of piping is a lot of water to drain when a pump shuts down.

fishytime 09-02-2011 03:09 AM

ok.....why do you have to go up and over?.....you cant drain directly through to the sump?......cant punch holes in the wall?......whats the scenario here?.......why do you have to go up and over a wall?.......how much room is under the cabinet?.....enough to do a skimmer and external pump, pumping to a remote reservoir (for volume) then back to the tank? that would be a safer scenario methinks.....

reefermadness 09-02-2011 03:13 AM

Guys....if I'm understanding correct...there is no overflow and drain. He plans on pumping water from the display to the sump and also pumping water from the sump to the display. Which will never every work.