Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tom's Aqua Lifter question (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76662)

MKLKT 07-03-2011 04:28 AM

Tom's Aqua Lifter question

I'm wondering if anyone has an answer to my query...

I'm in the process of setting up an ATO so that I can make life easier for myself and was going to snag a JBJ controller and an Aqua Lifter to go with it. My situation is that my reservoir would have a waterline that is above the waterline of the sump so I need to know if the Aqua Lifter creates a syphon while OFF which would cause the sump to be flooded. Does anyone know if this is the case or know of any other pump/powerhead that can be used that blocks flow while off?

I've tried searching to no avail.

Maverick00 07-03-2011 04:42 AM

I use one for my CPR overflow. As far as i know it has a check valve of some sort. Ive unplugged it while the cpr was running and it didnt allow any air back into the overflow. I wouldnt think itd allow a siphon of water either but someone else should confirm this first...

Maverick00 07-03-2011 05:00 AM

i played around with the pump and was easily able to blow air backwards through it. Judging by this id probably add some sort of check valve between the pump and the ato outlet line.

MKLKT 07-03-2011 05:05 AM

The problem is that it would be used to pump into the sump which would require the check to be in the same direction as the intended flow, it's not a backflow issue. The pump essentially is the top off, the ATO only says OFF/ON.

scherzo 07-03-2011 05:10 AM

Mine would sometimes continue the siphon.

Why don't you out the return line up to the display tank. Maybe in the drain section.

Maverick00 07-03-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKLKT (Post 621394)
The problem is that it would be used to pump into the sump which would require the check to be in the same direction as the intended flow, it's not a backflow issue. The pump essentially is the top off, the ATO only says OFF/ON.

sorry i somehow overlooked that.

Maverick00 07-03-2011 05:18 AM

Im curious now if the tunze ato would work in your type of scenario.

syncro 07-03-2011 07:06 AM

You could use a gravity ATO. Simply plumb a 1/4" airline hose from the freshwater to a float valve (not float switch) in your sump.

don.ald 07-03-2011 01:54 PM

i dont think the aqua lifter is going to work with the ATO system. the pump is so slow that the system will time out and shut down. you need a stronger pump. you can put the aqua lifter on a timer and run it. eliminating the ATO.

mike31154 07-03-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syncro (Post 621410)
You could use a gravity ATO. Simply plumb a 1/4" airline hose from the freshwater to a float valve (not float switch) in your sump.

Bingo to this. With raised reservoir you won't need any electrical gizmos, just a simple mechanical float valve. Simple & much less to go wrong.