Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Aquaripure Good/Bad? Waste of Money?? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73727)

dsaundry 03-16-2011 09:36 PM

Aquaripure Good/Bad? Waste of Money??

Has anybody got or used one of these nitrate filters?? Look ok on paper, seems to be a good idea. Heres the link.
http://www.aquaripure.com/intl/Products.htm

dsaundry 03-17-2011 04:48 PM

Nobody???:question:

lastlight 03-17-2011 04:53 PM

Sure sounds like a good idea. I've heard of these things before but yeah they don't get much mention. Tagging along.

These don't use sulfur...sounds like a form of carbon dosing. Sugar in this case.

dsaundry 03-17-2011 09:21 PM

Yeah I think they sound like a good idea as well, they do use sugar injecting but apparently this will really cut down on water changes and from what I have been reading on another forum, it seems those that have them love them. I am ordering one today and will keep people updated on my findings.

badAZZlars 04-06-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsaundry (Post 599395)
Yeah I think they sound like a good idea as well, they do use sugar injecting but apparently this will really cut down on water changes and from what I have been reading on another forum, it seems those that have them love them. I am ordering one today and will keep people updated on my findings.

Any update on this? How is it working out for you so far?

dsaundry 04-06-2011 03:05 AM

Well the unit arrived last week, simple to set up, also bought a bottle of vodka for dosing, but you can use sugar water and a variety of other things. Did a water test before start up and these were the results.
Water test March 27th 2011
Ca - 460
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ph - 8.4
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
Mg - 1.400
Salinity 1.025
I am retesting again on the weekend and once a week for the next bit.

dsaundry 07-13-2011 05:34 AM

Well its been a few months and I thought I would update on this unit. In short it seems to do all it says it does. Nitrates are zero and holding, no spikes at all. After the devastation I had with my fish a while ago I almost said "screw it"{not my real words} and got out of this {obsession}hobby. The only saving grace for me was after most of my fish died - the corals didn't. I watched the tank go through a nasty algae bloom but the corals hung on and the tank turned a huge corner about a month ago. The corals are looking great again and the surviving fish look happy and healthy. I haven't done a water change at all as I wanted to see how the unit responded. I dose the aquaripure with vodka as it is the recommended way but I am told sugar water will also work. Vodka has the added benefit of dosing me as well.:lol: I am actually getting compliments on my tank and I am actually getting a few pieces of sps growing, something I have had issues with in the past. I will try to post some pics in the near future. In short though if asked I would definately recommend the Aquaripure unit.:biggrin:

phi delt reefer 07-13-2011 11:59 AM

has there been any impact to your phosphates with the unit?

was the crash related to the aquapure unit?

nlreefguy 07-13-2011 12:41 PM

Yeah, I used a similar unit for a while... they definitely work. I found positive effects on both nitrate and phosphate but then I also started running GFO simultaneously so whether the unit was doing anything to the PO4 is up for debate. I moved and sold that setup and when I got re-established I made sure I wouldn't have the same problems, but they definitely do work on the nitrates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsaundry (Post 623311)
Well its been a few months and I thought I would update on this unit. In short it seems do do all it says it does. Nitrates are zero and holding, no spikes at all. After the devastation I had with my fish a while ago I almost said "screw it"{not my real words} and got out of this {obsession}hobby. The only saving grace for me was after most of my fish died - the corals didn't. I watched the tank go through a nasty algae bloom but the corals hung on and the tank turned a huge corner about a month ago. The corals are looking great again and the surviving fish look happy and healthy. I haven't done a water change at all as I wanted to see how the unit responded. I dose the aquaripure with vodka as it is the recommended way but I am told sugar water will also work. Vodka has the added benefit of dosing me as well.:lol: I am actually getting compliments on my tank and I am actually getting a few pieces of sps growing, something I have had issues with in the past. I will try to post some pics in the near future. In short though if asked I would definately recommend the Aquaripure unit.:biggrin:

dsaundry 07-13-2011 03:38 PM

The unit wasn't responsible for the crash, honestly I don't really test for phosphates so I don't really know, but as for the nitrates....zero. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. One more note though, it does take 4-6 weeks to break in so to speak, but its been great for me.