Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   clownfish compatibility (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72946)

BigHammer 02-18-2011 10:46 PM

clownfish compatibility

anyone have experience with different color variations hosting the same anemone. for instance would 2 semi-snowflake ocellaris and 2 black ocellaris share the same carpet anemone without too much hostility.

BlueTang<3 02-18-2011 10:51 PM

Not from my experience, certain clowns wont even tolerate each other in the same tank. I experienced my clowns just fighting till they have primary ownership of the anemone then nothing can come near it. I have about a 16" gigantia and could not keep 3 ocellaris in it.

Marlin65 02-18-2011 11:11 PM

I have a orange ocellaris with a black perk and they are fine together. They fought a bit at first but now share the same mushroom.

GMGQ 02-18-2011 11:37 PM

I've had my main orange true perk for a few years now, and I recently bought 2 black clowns and 1 orange one.

The oldest/biggest one took them under it's fin right away, and protected them from the sixline that likes to harass them. My hippo likes to play big brother as well, and would come to their rescue when the sixline starts flashing them.

So all 4 clowns get along great together in my tank right now.

ponokareefer 02-19-2011 02:22 PM

How big of system will they be in? Likely, one pair will form and then drive the other 2 away. If the system is big enough, the other 2 will form a pair and find a home in something else. If it isn't big enough, the dominant pair will kill the other pair. This may take a while to happen, depending on the age of the clowns. The likely hood of 4 clownfish being hosted by one anemone in a tank is next to none long term.

ed99 02-19-2011 03:10 PM

I've never been able to have two types of clownfish in the same tank. Even in a 6' tank, the pair of true perculas would not tolerate the ocellaris- they would chase him down no matter where he went in the tank.

BigHammer 02-19-2011 06:38 PM

i heard that percs and ocellaris wont happen, but different color variations of each will stay with eachother, like true perc and picasso could be kept together.

i recently tried 2 black ocellaris and 2 semi snowflakes (ocellaris) together, only for a day. they would pair off and not let the other variation in my anemone. maybe with time it could have worked.

Ryan 02-20-2011 02:23 PM

The other option you guys are forgetting is there may only be one pair and the other two will remain subordinate members. Ocellaris are famous for having additional members other than the pair, usually the pair and one subordinate. Percs are nasty and once they decide it's time to breed the female will kill any other clownfish in the tank. Percs are one of the few clowns that will hold off an adult maroon female.

Ryan 02-20-2011 02:24 PM

Oh and I have an Aussy black in with a C-quest Wyoming White with no issues.