Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Store tactics (Auto accessories) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70143)

mark 11-23-2010 03:19 PM

Store tactics (Auto accessories)

So I'm dropping a new fleet vehicle off to get a Blue-tooth module installed for hands free and thought hey since here let's add a remote start.

For one unit they have signs up "$99 regular price $159". Now I know it won't just be $99 (already less than impressed that I'm basically getting charged $150 to just plug the Bluetooth module into the harness) but said go ahead. Ends up the $99 remote in addition to their $150 flat install rate ("we don't charge by the hour but by the job") you need another module for $210 to tie things together. The $99 jumps to $459, I passed.

kien 11-23-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 567431)
So I'm dropping a new fleet vehicle off to get a Blue-tooth module installed for hands free and thought hey since here let's add a remote start.

For one unit they have signs up "$99 regular price $159". Now I know it won't just be $99 (already less than impressed that I'm basically getting charged $150 to just plug the Bluetooth module into the harness) but said go ahead. Ends up the $99 remote in addition to their $150 flat install rate ("we don't charge by the hour but by the job") you need another module for $210 to tie things together. The $99 jumps to $459, I passed.

ya i hate that! I've had car starters installed in 3 previous cars and that is always the case. They advertise $100 but it is NEVER $100. There is ALWAYS some other part that you need that costs twice as much or more. Feels like false advertising to me. I want to know what car can take an advertised $100 starter, a golf cart!?!

muck 11-23-2010 04:03 PM

Lol... was talking about that yesterday with my brother.
It is such a misleading advertising strategy it is almost criminal.

globaldesigns 11-23-2010 04:07 PM

I am lucky, my truck has a factory unit in it. So I don't have to worry.

But as someone that use to run electronic stores with install bays, I know how the extras can add up fast. Not always fair, but people will pay the price.

Personally, I would just get the factory units for now on, when I buy my new vehicles... Not all aftermarket install bays are alike, and there are alot of hacks out there.

freezetyle 11-23-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globaldesigns (Post 567445)
ways fair, but people will pay the price.

Personally, I would just get the factory units for now on, when I buy my new vehicles... Not all aftermarket install bays are alike, and there are alot of hacks out there.

I agree. I had some car speakers installed by visions when i bought my first car. they installed them, but they didn't connect any of the wires. i had to go back three times to get them to do it properly.