Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTB: peaceful sohal tang :-) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69257)

Coleus 10-26-2010 08:37 PM

WTB: peaceful sohal tang :-)

My last one did not go so well so .... maybe someone shutting down their tank and sell me a peaceful one.

I saw a couple small ones at gold, not sure if i should buy them when they small or go for bigger one.

What is the best approach?

Zoaelite 10-26-2010 08:47 PM

The one I saw at golds was a bit beat up but still a nice looking fish, it's hard to say as the chances of someone looking to get rid of one are probably small (Especially if you are looking for a docile one).

Mixing fish is like mixing unlabeled chemicals, It's very difficult to predict the final results. I would personally take the small one and keep him fed like a little piggy, good luck they are a very personable fish (I think Globaldesigns has big one, maybe he can share his secrets).

The Codfather 10-26-2010 08:47 PM

I don't think there is such a beast. The one's that I ever had always got very aggressive with age. Just my opinion.

kien 10-26-2010 10:47 PM

I had one that started out peaceful. He was even bullied by my clown tang. Then one day I guess he had enough and went postal, on everyone. More aggressive than even my triggers and I have 3 Aggressive triggers! Ended up rehoming him to a friends fowlr.

globaldesigns 10-26-2010 11:35 PM

I guess the problem you will have is that anyone with a Sohal, that is peaceful, probably won't give it up. I myself, have a very peaceful one overall, therefore it is the showpiece of my tank. Only way I will give it up, is for alot of MOOOOLAAAAA. :lol:

Good luck finding one, I hope you do. I guess the problem overall is firstly getting one that is peaceful, but more importantly if you do find one that is proven to be nice, once transferred to your tank, will it stay that way. Cross your fingers on that.

But I will say, I do love my Sohal and would recommend them, but buyer beware!!!!

Coleus 10-27-2010 01:56 AM

Hey Rick, did you get it when it was small?

Ryan 10-27-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Codfather (Post 559546)
I don't think there is such a beast. The one's that I ever had always got very aggressive with age. Just my opinion.

therealshark had one that was the exact opposite. Used to be the meanest stinker in the tank but by the end he tamed right down and was a great tank companion.

Coleus 10-27-2010 04:21 AM

my last one kill my naso tang which is like 1.5 his size. and no other fishes dare to come out of the rock even feeding time. I got to move him out of tank in hurry

globaldesigns 10-27-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coleus (Post 559604)
Hey Rick, did you get it when it was small?

Yup, mine was about 3 inches from tip to tail, so very small. Now he is about 8 inches or so.

He was a bugger when smaller, he chased and nipped fins. My foxface didn't look that great as his fins got pretty nipped up. But over time it got better.

I got him from golds, and he was eating pellets, but when I got him home, he didn't. Could only get him to eat Nori. Over time I decided to not feed nori at all, basically starve him into eating the pellets. Well that did work, and I found feeding him the pellets, must of satisfied him, cause his aggression subsided.

Now, he is quite peaceful. Larger in size and still eating mostly varied types of pellets with some Nori. He does do the odd chase, but does not damage any fish or coral. So I would say he is a success!!

lastlight 10-27-2010 04:17 PM

You're very lucky. I'll be taking a stab at one someday. Hands down my favorite looking fish.