Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lost my mind....or, here we go again! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68639)

Aquattro 10-06-2010 01:48 AM

Lost my mind....or, here we go again!

So after 2 years of struggling with my tank, I'm shutting it down. Right after I get the new 180 set up, which will be a couple of months. I just bought a complete system locally, but will need to drill the tank and build a new stand to fit my gear.

Question for all the 180+ crowd...what did you do that made the setup nice, or what would you have done different?

I've got 2 Tunze 6100s on a controller, ER skimmer, big DIY Ca reactor, Zeo already.
Things to look at are drain locations, 1 or 2 drains, durso vs herbie, stand concepts, etc....anything you can think of that I might not have?

reefwars 10-06-2010 01:54 AM

when i had my 180 i noticed the need for a very large water bin for both fresh and salt:) 20g water changes every week or so

christyf5 10-06-2010 02:02 AM

My tank is in the basement on a concrete floor. Hello brute on wheels, I love it. Go for the herbie if you can, I have a stockman (can't fit a durso in there :( ) and its the loudest part of the tank. I wish my tank could be retrofitted for a herbie (can't/won't, next tank).

My tank is in wall and I wish I'd left enough room on the sides for placement of magnets for powerheads (its a very tight fit), I can't move my wavebox forward enough in the tank so its only half held on by the magnets (a bit precarious but so far so good).

Sounds like you're set, can't wait to see thie one set up :biggrin:

Aquattro 10-06-2010 02:09 AM

This one will be in the livingroom, upstairs, so hopefully it doesn't decide to go downstairs. I'm thinking a 7' wide stand, which gives me edges to sit stuff on and spreads the weight a bit more. I'll probably look at a 75g sump underneath. I lose my downstairs sump, but can probably plumb my topoff in full time, no more jugs!!
Noise will be a concern, so I'll look at the herbie setups, haven't been there before. MAG 12 or so return in sump to dampen vibration, currently my whole house vibrates from the pump downstairs.

Christy, I may need a few more frags -lol

Lance 10-06-2010 02:31 AM

+1 on the large water containers.

I wish I had the room for a larger sump. Mine is 70g and I would love the space of a 100g or even 120g.

Aquattro 10-06-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 553932)
+1 on the large water containers.

I wish I had the room for a larger sump. Mine is 70g and I would love the space of a 100g or even 120g.

Ya, not hapy about losing my sump, I'm running a 125g now and love it. Who knows, I might be able to fit that under the stand.

Large water containers won't fly, I don't have room to store them while not making water. I use a 20g tub now, so that should cover water changes (I hope)

The Grizz 10-06-2010 02:47 AM

I think that any of use that are over 100 gals have all lost our minds :crazy: but it is so hard to resist. My DT is only 165 but with the sump I am at around 230 total. The one thing I still need to do is get a dual stage controller and should have an ATO so I don't have to top off 5 - 10 gals every other day.

lastlight 10-06-2010 03:08 AM

Topoff tanka dn mix tank on a high stand right under the living room floor? Plumb into them through a cold air return?

I really approve of the last straw/the first straw mentality. If it IS broke...go bigger! Looking fwd to more. Are you supporting the floor?

christyf5 10-06-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 553923)
Christy, I may need a few more frags -lol

LOL, I was going to comment earlier. I'll have frags galore for you when you're ready :biggrin:

Delphinus 10-06-2010 04:22 AM

External overflow unless you need the tank up against the wall. I HATE how much real estate my internal overflow eats up out of my 280g. :(

Center overflow, or coast to coast. (External or internal, either way). That way if you go wavebox the wave will be minimized at the overflow and sloshing is minimized.

Leave enough space over top of the overflow. Especially if you go with a non centered overflow and you have a wavebox.

I think Herbie > Durso. Durso really only good for reducing gurgling noise. Herbie is quieter and makes microbubbles pretty much impossible since there is no way for air to enter the plumbing. Well, except for the skimmer anyhow and anything else, but at least the overflow intake is submerged completely so it can't draw in air.

There's another kind of overflow system whose name I can't remember but it's basically Herbie extreme. You need 3 holes for it. That might be something to look into.